Genealogy from ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎[plagge.ged]‎‎‎‎‎‎‎

Theodore Friedrick SchmidtAge: 96 years19001996

Theodore Friedrick Schmidt
Birth April 23, 1900 52 36
Marriage statusBertha PfundView this family

Birth of a sisterChristine Wilhelmine Schmidt
June 2, 1904 (Age 4 years)
Marriage of a siblingGeorge Leonard KolzeFlora SchmidtView this family
September 10, 1904 (Age 4 years)

Birth of a brotherJohan John Friedrich Edwin Schmidt
June 25, 1905 (Age 5 years)
Marriage of a siblingChrist H FraseLucy SchmidtView this family
November 26, 1905 (Age 5 years)

Death of a paternal grandfatherJohann Frederick Schmidt
January 12, 1907 (Age 6 years)
Marriage of a siblingGeorge Fred BreutnerHenriette Louise Hattie SchmidtView this family
May 15, 1912 (Age 12 years)
Marriage of a siblingRuben Edward SchmidtHelen Alvine LussenhoppView this family
April 24, 1916 (Age 16 years)

Death of a brotherAlfred Schmidt
July 17, 1916 (Age 16 years)
Marriage of a siblingBenjamin Henry SchmidtEmily Rose Anna JossView this family
September 6, 1919 (Age 19 years)

Marriage of a siblingSamuel Heinrich Frederick SchmidtEsther EllingsonView this family
August 9, 1924 (Age 24 years)

Marriage of a siblingEdwin H SprandelChristine Wilhelmine SchmidtView this family
September 17, 1924 (Age 24 years)

MarriageBertha PfundView this family
November 12, 1924 (Age 24 years)
Death of a fatherErnest Heinrich Schmidt
June 16, 1927 (Age 27 years)
Death of a sisterLucy Schmidt
June 8, 1928 (Age 28 years)
Death of a motherWilhelmine Maria Reker
November 6, 1933 (Age 33 years)
Marriage of a siblingJohan John Friedrich Edwin SchmidtAlice E TipladyView this family
January 15, 1938 (Age 37 years)

Death of a brotherRuben Edward Schmidt
October 16, 1963 (Age 63 years)
Death of a sisterFlora Schmidt
July 6, 1970 (Age 70 years)
Death of a sisterHenriette Louise Hattie Schmidt
April 19, 1973 (Age 72 years)
Death of a brotherSamuel Heinrich Frederick Schmidt
February 25, 1984 (Age 83 years)
Death of a brotherBenjamin Henry Schmidt
December 15, 1985 (Age 85 years)
Death of a wifeBertha Pfund
1994 (Age 93 years)
Death of a brotherJohan John Friedrich Edwin Schmidt
January 17, 1995 (Age 94 years)
Death of a sisterChristine Wilhelmine Schmidt
August 16, 1996 (Age 96 years)
Death November 5, 1996 (Age 96 years)
Family with parents - View this family
Marriage: September 18, 1879Addison, DuPage, Illinois
3 years
elder sister
3 years
elder sister
Lucy Schmidt
Birth: June 8, 1885 37 21Bensenville, DuPage, Illinois
Death: June 8, 1928Elmhurst, Lake, Illinois
2 years
elder sister
4 years
elder brother
Benjamin Henry Schmidt
Birth: June 10, 1891 43 27Bensenville, DuPage, Illinois
Death: December 15, 1985Woodbury, Nassau, New York
21 months
elder brother
Ruben Edward Schmidt
Birth: February 26, 1893 45 29Addison, DuPage, Illinois
Death: October 16, 1963Elmhurst, Lake, Illinois
3 years
elder brother
22 months
elder brother
Alfred Schmidt
Birth: February 3, 1898 50 34Addison, DuPage, Illinois
Death: July 17, 1916Bensenville, Du Page, Illinois
2 years
Theodore Friedrick Schmidt
Birth: April 23, 1900 52 36Bensenville, DuPage, Illinois
Death: November 5, 1996Hendersonville, North Carolina
4 years
younger sister
Christine Wilhelmine Schmidt
Birth: June 2, 1904 56 40Bensenville, DuPage, Illinois
Death: August 16, 1996Big Rock, Kane County, Illinois
13 months
younger brother
Father’s family with Luise Kleindopp - View this family
Marriage: July 29Weidenau, , Westfalen, Preussen
Family with Bertha Pfund - View this family
Theodore Friedrick Schmidt
Birth: April 23, 1900 52 36Bensenville, DuPage, Illinois
Death: November 5, 1996Hendersonville, North Carolina
Marriage: November 12, 1924Elmhurst, Lake, Illinois

Memories: by Theo. F. Schmidt Spring, 1991 At ninety-one, I am the oldest of the Schmidt family and so in response to various requests by young members of the family I have herein written about life in the early days of this century and personal experiences along the way which I trust will be of interest to readers....It may be forgotten that at the beginning of this century, northern DuPage and rural Cook County, Illinois were populated almost entirely by German immigrants. Our story starts with a Mr. Landwehr, Grandmother Schmidt's nephew, who first sailed to America--to Chicago, to be exact, and later settled on a farm near Barrington. Soon after, in the year of 1848, Grandparents Johann Friederich and Johanna Schmidt, along with their four small children, embarked on a sailing vessel in Hamburg, Germany bound for New York. Storms prevented their making port in New York so the ship proceeded onward to New Orleans where they disembarked and continued their journey up the Mississippi, eventually making their way to Chicago. There they joined the Landwehrs but soon bought their own 160 acres of land north of Bensenville, on York Road across from what is now O'Hare Airport. Later they purchased another 80 acres about a mile farther north on York Road. Land was available for $2.00 per acre. Just a few short years later-- 1853--Grandmother died. She was buried in the Evangelical Lutheran Church cemetery which is located in the southwest corner of O'Hare Airport. This final resting place is well kept and accessible from Irving Park Road. Herein lie grandparents, Johannaand Johann Friederich Schmidt; parents, Wihelmina and Henry, and brother Alfred. My father and mother were Ernst Henry Schmidt and Wilhelmina Reker. They were married October 23, 1861 and they had ten children--I am their eighth child; their fifth son. Later in these papers I will list each by name and give a brief update on their lives. Our parents were both quiet and even tempered. I don't recall their disciplining us for any misbehavior. I remember an occasion when one of my uncles introduced me to someone saying that 'he comes from a family where there is never an unkind word spoken'. I cherish this memory and hope that I may live up to its full meaning. Father had three sisters, Mrs. Fluegge, Mrs. Bobzien and Mrs. Warnecke. The Fluegges owned and operated a farm farther north on York Road and the Bobziens and Warneckes owned farms in Iowa, however Warneckes lived in Bensenville where he and his sons conducted an active house painting business. Cousin Lucy Warnecke lived in her own home in Bensenville until the age of 106! She was active and alert to 103 when she lost her equilibrium, but continued walking daily with assistance until her death. She was never confined to bed. The Bobzien's lived in Iowa Falls, Iowa. Mother had two sisters--Mrs. Landmeier, who lived in Bensenville, and Mrs. Kuhlman, who in later years lived in Des Plaines. In a history of DuPage County published in 1882, I found Grandmother Reker's name mentioned. It stated that Grandfather Reker died and she married a Mr. Heuer (pronounced Hoyer). When she died Mr. Heuer married her sister. They had a daughter named Amanda, who I remember occasionally visiting our home. Mr. Heuer was related to the Heuer family who owned Peter Hand Brewery which made the famous Meisterbrau brand. They lived in a large home on Mannheim Road and their sons, Clarence and Edward came to visit us on the farm in their Peerless, a luxury car of that era. Edward, age 21, was killed in World War I in France. In 1938 when Aunt Bobzien died at 94, brother Sam and sister Hattie drove with me in my car to Iowa Falls to attend her funeral. It was there that my interest in family history began. We were driven to nearby Alden, where grandfather Johann Friederich had owned four eighty acre farms. An elderly gentleman who knew grandfather told me that Johann Friederich boarded a train to Iowa soon after the C.&N.W. railroad extended its tracks into Iowa. With $1600 in his pocket, he bought 320 acres which he divided into four 80 farms. He then owned seven 80 acre farms plus 20 acres of woodland on Irving Park Road in Woodale; all being free of any indebtedness. He did not engage in farming but lived with his children and devoted full time to constructing the buildings and digging drainage ditches. I was told that he sold the original adjoining farm north to supply him with funds for living expenses. When his children married he gave each a farm. He gave father two farms, one in Iowa and one on York Road plus ten acres of woodland in keeping with the custom of that era. (Sons needed a larger inheritance than daughters because they had the responsibility of supporting families of their own and presumably daughters would marry sons who likewise inherited more than their sisters). I have fond memories of growing up on the farm near Bensenville. Our "place" as it was called, was a large white frame two story house with six bedrooms upstairs that were separated by two closed stairways. On one side the bedrooms were occupied by school teachers who boarded with us, and on the other side there were three more bedrooms which were accessible by the other closed stairway. There was also a large walk-in attic. This house was a mile north of Bensenville, about 500 feet west of York Road, also called Elmhurst Road, and faced south. Our barn faced north and the chicken house and the wagon and tool sheds faced east--all painted red to form a barnyard. The ground between was bare where chickens, ducks and geese were fed daily. Farther east toward the road was a large lawn, also a vegetable and flower garden with rows of fruit trees and berry bushes. This eighty acre farm is now entirely occupied by factories. There was a large grove of poplar trees west of the buildings and also a pond. In this area we found many arrow heads, proving that this land was once occupied by the Pottowatomi Indians. A large apple orchard was just north of the house and each year we harvested wagon loads of apples, which were hauled to the downtown produce market. Fruits and vegetables were not sold in stores, but were obtained from farmers selling their produce in the downtown Chicago market. Peddlers riding atop their horse drawn carts would go from house to house shouting their wares. Hobos, or tramps as we called them, walked the highways throughout the country and some would come to our house, both on the farm and later in town, to beg for a meal, which Mother gladly gave them. Father would advise them to find jobs to earn their livelihood. Bands of gypsies would also stop in and offer to tell our fortunes for a fee. Mother gave them food and cast off clothing. On a few occasions circuses came by on their way to a new location and also companies of U.S. Mounted Cavalry on their way from camp to camp. Many peddlers, selling medicines, housewares, tea and coffee would stop in at our house. I remember the coffeeman would end his week's journey at our house on Friday and Father would board his horses until Monday. He would then take the train to Chicago where he would remain for the weekend. Brothers Sam, Alfred and I were assigned the task of picking up the windfall apples which were taken to market and sold at reduced prices. The proceeds were given to us boys for spending money for bicycles, fishing and hunting equipment, baseballs, etc. Father taught us to sling small green apples a long distance by impaling them on supple willow sticks about ten feet long. The story was told that Ben, when very young, cast one in the direction of the house which sailed right through an upstairs window. Throughout the summer these many trees were home to a variety of birds, the singing of which wakened us at daybreak and could be heard all day until sundown. In later years songs of birds seem to have ceased; the reason for which is a mystery. There was also an abundance of waterfowl before the sloughs were drained. Alfred and I had guns and equipment we bought by mail from L.L. Bean and Sears. We shot wild ducks and Jack Snipe and once I was lucky enough to bring down a twelve pound wild goose from a flock flying overhead. Alfred and I found many ways to occupy our time and make money. Pigeons flew in large numbers from farm to farm and as such were common property. A gentleman from Arlington Heights would stop at our farm every Friday afternoon to pick up several live pigeons that Alfred and I had trapped. He would pay us for these and then continue on to Bensenville to ship a crate of these live birds to hotels in Chicago for restaurant fare. We also trapped mink which were plentiful. We would mount their pelts on boards inside out and when dried, mail them to St. Louis, Missouri. We would receive five dollars each by return mail. A few years later, while attending Lewis Institute, I worked during the summer vacation in the school machine shop making mechanisms for inventors for which I was given credit toward my tuition. My memory goes back to 1903 when I was three years old. Mother and I went as weekend guests to the senior Rathjes who lived near 63rd and Halsted Streets in the upper class neighborhood of Englewood. Rathjes had retired from their farm near Wheaton. We were invited because their niece was a teacher who boarded at our house. Meeting their black servants was an emotional experience; one of them took me to the barn to see the horses and his wife supplied me with toys. One evening we were taken to White City, an amusement park left over from the World's Fair. This was located in the vicinity of what later became Jackson Park. I clearly remember the fireworks and going down Chute the Chutes in a boat which created an enormous splash in the pond when we landed; also cowboys and clowns and Annie Oakley shooting clay pigeons. Their son, Frank, was home from college and bounced me on his knee on their big veranda. The Rathje sons were distinguished in law and banking. Father and son were successively chief judge of DuPage County and their brothers founded and owned four of the largest neighborhood banks in Chicago and supported banks in rural areas. Frank Rathje was president of Mutual National Bank at 63rd and Halsted, President of the American Bankers Association, the South Shore Country Club and the Union League Club. Frank Rathje, Jr. in recent years owned and later sold the First National Bank in Elmhurst. Fred had an office downtown and served the rural community in Cook and DuPage counties. He was Father's attorney. Growing up on the farm included a one half mile walk to school in all kinds of weather. The red brick school was at the corner of Lawrence Avenue and York Road, which is now inside O'Hare airport. In winter I had the job of going an hour early to start the fire to warm the schoolhouse. I was not compensated for this because it was considered an honor to be trusted with the big key to the front door! One teacher taught all grades, which meant that each student was exposed to the lower grades repeatedly until he or she graduated. Spell downs were the last exercise weekly on Friday afternoon. Spring school picnics were held at our house where plenty of open space and shade was available. When my brothers and I arrived home after school we immediately went about doing our chores which consisted of splitting wood and bringing in a supply to fill the wood box next to the kitchen stove. As we grew older we would pump water to fill the outdoor horse and cow troughs and the indoor tank for cooling the milk. Also we would lead each horse out of its stall in the barn to drink at the trough. Halloween was a major event in our lives. Under cover of darkness the young men would roam the town and country to play pranks on the residents. Then the following morning people of all ages would travel around to see what had been done. I remember seeing ladders hung high on telephone poles, buggies on flat top roofs and once there was one of the farmer's milk cans upside down on the peak of the huge water tower in town. When we were very young we believed in Santa Claus and Mother would decorate the tree in the parlor in secret, keeping the door locked. Living rooms (or parlors as they were called in those days) were open only to entertain visitors. Preceding Christmas Mother would go downtown in Chicago to shop for the holiday. On Christmas morning she would sound a horn--one made from a cow's horn--which was her signal for us to come tumbling down the stairs to discover what Santa had brought and see the lighted tree. Trees were decorated with wax candles which needed watching to prevent the tree from catching on fire. We received many toys, all of which were imported from Germany. Unfortunately we did not save these toys, but these same items turned up in antique shows in later years at very high prices. Every child had ice skates because there were so many ponds nearby. During the winter my brothers and I skated each day. We could go as far as our church which was about a mile eastward and it was here that each of us attended Bible School for one additional year after graduating from grammar school. In the summer large fish were found in these ponds. Perhaps they came from the DesPlaines River which was actually several miles away, but we found them impossible to catch by hook and line. Before streams were polluted we did catch catfish in Salt Creek, however. Commercially canned fruits and vegetables were not available to us but all farmers, as well as townspeople, did their own food preservation using glass Mason jars which were then stored in their cool basements. Mother filled several ten gallon crocks with grated cabbage which fermented and became sauerkraut. Many barrels of apples and mounds of potatoes were stored in our basement and these lasted until the following year's crop was harvested. Mother would slice many apples which she dried on a table outdoor in the sun. They made tasty side dishes for dinner. We had about thirty cows which had to be milked morning and evening. The milk was stored in large cans set in a cool tank of water in a ten foot square building called the "milk house". The next morning they were hauled into town and subsequently picked up by a special "milk train" which went to Chicago dairies. Principal crops grown on our farm were corn and grain for feeding the live stock. Our parents harvested a large crop of berries. Customers came to our farm in chauffeur driven cars from as far away as Park Ridge and Oak Park. And so it was unnecessary for us to pack and ship this crop. Alfred and I would take a wagonload of strawberries into Bensenville and sell them house to house. When finished we would be rewarded by going to Koebbemans ice cream parlor for a banana split. Meatmarkets (local stores) supplied the townspeople with meat, but many farmers, including our family, hired an itinerant butcher for a day. He would come to our farm and prepare a select cow and some hogs and make cuts of meat or sausages which were hung in a windowless smokehouse where a hardwood fire smoldered many days to cure the meats which lasted until the next season. Quilting was engaged in by every household in the Fall. On quilting day the ladies met together around a rectangular frame of boards about three inches wide and one inch thick, which would rest on the tops of four chairs. The quilt top was fastened to the frame at the outer edges, and usually three ladies sat on each side stitching. As their stitching progressed the top was folded so they could continue. Eventually the quilters stitches met in the middle. I remember as a very small child crawling underneath and being completely surrounded by floor length skirts. Looking up all I could see were many hands stitching. The patterns of these quilts were works of art and members of our family cherish them as family treasures. Quilting parties were social events and refreshments were always served. Fourth of July was an important holiday and a cause for much celebration. Before the 4th we would go to town and get a large supply of fireworks--mainly firecrackers for use during the day and pinwheels, sparklers, Roman candles and rockets for night. These could be seen for long distances, lighting the sky at each farm and also in town. A favorite trick was to go out early to see if any cats were walking across the barnyard. We would toss a lighted firecracker toward the cat and invariably out of curiosity it would stop to investigate. When it exploded the cat would make a lightning dash for the barn and not be seen again for several days. Cats were never kept in the house but lived in the barn for the express purpose of keeping the barnyard free of rats and mice. Our family participated in the social life of the rural community and Bensenville, due to our proximity to both, attended church regularly and entertained on Sunday afternoons or were invited to family gatherings. The annual church picnic held on a summer Sunday afternoon was a happy event and the Bensenville Orphanage Home picnic was a memorable time of great excitement People came from all over. A special train from Chicago came bringing, what seemed to me, a vast number of visitors; it would return to the city in the evening. Sumptuous basket lunches were everywhere. Wealthy donors to the orphanage came in their Packards, their Locomobiles and their Pierce Arrows to be a part of this gala event. There were few hospitals and these provided limited services so it was not uncommon for our pastor to make known cases of illness in the community that needed care and attention. I remember Mother going in response to these needs and being away from home for a week or so. We were then on our own--cooking and managing the house. School picnics, and once I recall a concert by the Bensenville Band, were held at our home. Memorable refreshments were served at all events. Baseball was played on an improvised diamond on our farm by farm lads versus lads from Bensenville when the regular Bensenville team played Out of town. Baseball games were well attended every Sunday afternoon. Hopeful candidates for the team played each evening until dark. Some eventually became big league players. Hoyt Wilhelm, the famous pitcher, came from Maywood. Because they were physically hardened by farm work some farm lads became excellent players and members of the village teams. Chris Frase was manager of the Bensenville team. Brother John played the outfield for a time. Another long forgotten event was the chivaree which took place the evening before a wedding at the brides home. After dark the young folks would quietly gather around the house and at a signal would set up a tremendous noise, banging on pans, shooting blank shotgun and revolver shells and yelling until the father of the bride would emerge and serve them beer, doughnuts, etc. Weddings were held only on Sunday afternoon at the church because farmers could not spare the time on weekdays. Following the ceremony the bride and groom would leave in a horse drawn carriage amid much noise making, cheering and shooting. As the wedding party proceeded homeward along the highway young boys would often stretch a rope across the road which could barely be seen in the twilight. They would hide in the ditches on each side of the road waiting for the buggy. As it approached they would suddenly lift the rope in front of the horses and stop the procession. The driver would toss them coins and the kids would lower the rope to allow the wedding party to proceed. Each year in late summer Mother took each of us separately downtown to the Fair Department Store to equip us with a complete wardrobe for the new school year. We were admonished to take very good care of these new clothes because at the end of the year they would then be given to the Bensenville orphanage. One of the unforgettable experiences of my life was when I was about eight years old, I went with Father with a load of produce to the South Water Street market in Chicago. We left before daylight with a wagonload drawn by a team of horses and arrived at sundown on Randolph Street, midway between Halsted Street and the Northwestern railroad tracks. The street was very wide and street cars traveled the center. The wagon was parked facing the car tracks and horses were unhitched and taken to a nearby livery stable. The pole was detached and laid under the wagon. We went to a nearby restaurant for dinner, mainly soup, then bedded down for the night under the stars. Dad slept on the seat and I among the produce. The noisy street cars clanged close by all night long. It was in sharp contrast to sleeping at home on the farm where the only sounds were rustling leaves and the quaint calls of hoot owls. At sunrise, Dad opened the rear gate to display the produce and peddlers came to buy. When all was sold in early morning, we hitched the horses and started homeward. When we arrived at the town of Kolze about noontime, Dad fed the horses and we had lunch at Kolze's tavern which was called the White House. Here in the middle of a block was picnic grove, called a beer garden, and this was the setting for weekly Saturday night picnics and concerts. The house still stands and serves as a restaurant renamed Colonial. The town was later renamed Schiller Park; it is north of Franklin Park. My sister's husband, George Kolze, was of the Kolze clan. When we left the farm in 1914 there were no paved roads. It took skill to ride a bicycle in the deep narrow ruts in the road. There was no electric lighting. Sidewalks in town were made of wood. There were perhaps a dozen lamps on posts, lit every evening by a lamplighter who carried a ladder and tools and would extinguish them the next morning. When electric lighting was established farmers brought their families after sunset to see the new lights. Principal roads were made of gravel from the large quarry in Elmhurst. Most farmers, including our father, hauled crushed stone during the winter from the quarry in specially designed wagons for which they were compensated by volume delivered to the end of the completed stretch. About 1915 when trucks became available, they revolutionized farming in our area. Many farmers converted to vegetable farming and trucked their produce to the market on Randolph Street in downtown Chicago--west of the Northwestern railroad tracks. These early trucks had solid rubber tires and traveled about twenty miles per hour. The only daily newspapers available were those brought borne by residents travelling to Chicago by train. At Presidential election time the winner would not be known to those without a paper; few farmers had telephones. Results would be shown by light beams projected from downtown Chicago which could clearly be seen as far west as Bensenville. A vertical beam would denote one winner and a slanted beam another. I remember voting in every presidential election since 1924 when I voted for Calvin Coolidge. I wasn't eligible to vote in 1920 since the required age then was twenty-one. My parents continued farming until 1914 and then moved into town to another six bedroom house where they lived for the rest of their lives. This house was located at the southeast corner of York and Green Streets. The corner is now occupied by a gas station. Father held first mortgages on several farms in DuPage County which paid off in full so they were able to remain solvent during the depression years. After our parents moved into town, Father helped George Groves clear an area in the woods at the southwest corner of the railroad and Church Road, where Mr. Groves built a log cabin. This served as a summer house for the Groves' family until their daughter started using it as a tearoom. In time this grew into a restaurant known today as Plentywood Farm. When Groves' daughters were married they came to our house and bought several pieces of furniture which had been stored away in our attic. Much later we realized that these pieces were valuable antiques. Farming in that area was a profitable occupation during the first quarter of the century. Farmers were the first to acquire automobiles. I recall that Bernhard Landmeier was the talk of the community when he bought six new cars at once as gifts for each of his children. My parents often exchanged visits with the Landwehrs and in 1914 when we got our first car--a Studebaker--I drove Mother and Dad one Sunday to visit the Landwehrs who had retired to a house in Barrington. I was fourteen years old! Only the four youngest were not yet married, but were all away at school, so Mother rented rooms to school teachers whose company she enjoyed. These teachers were graduates of Northern Illinois University at DeKaIb or Wheaton College. Some sons and daughters attended college but I was eager to get to work so I quit day school and attended night school for many years, taking courses related to my job. I had more than enough class hours to graduate, but lacked the required courses such as history and English literature for a degree. Years later while ice skating one evening near Bensenville I met Bert, who with her sisters bad come with Lee Volberding in his family's car. After skating we all went together to a home for refreshments and the rest is history.. .Bertha Pfund and I were married November 12, 1924 in the Pfund home on Lake Street near Addison. Following the ceremony we were driven by Frieda and Frank McNellis to the Edgewater Beach Hotel where we stayed over the weekend. We attended the famous play No, No Nanette downtown and a football game on Saturday. We started housekeeping in a first floor apartment on Addison Street in Elmhurst which was occupied upstairs by Bert's brother Paul and his wife Irene. Several years later we bought our house on Virginia Street facing Wilder Park where we lived twenty-five years until we moved to Wheaton. Here is a list of my brothers and sisters followed by some brief remarks. Flora -- Mrs. George Kolze The Kolzes engaged in farming, first on their farm near Mannheim and finally on the Schmidt homestead. Son Fred, now deceased, conducted a landscape business. Leonard and husbands of Bernice and Helen are also deceased., Lucy -- Mrs. Chris Frase. Lucy and Chris Frase owned an apple orchard in Wenatchee, Washington; then an orange grove in California and after Lucy died, Chris was an interior decorator until his death at 89. Henrietta -- Mrs. Geo. Breutner. George Breutner was Vice President and Sales Manager of Chicago Furnace and Supply Company, which still exists. Benjamin -- Emily Joss; Ben worked in various banks and sold real estate and insurance. He sold many farms in the Bensenville area. We frequently met at his home when Emily's parents and relatives came to visit. Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Joss, of Swiss descent, lived next door. In addition to farming, Mr. Joss served for many years as township commissioner and was co-founder of the Franklin Park Bank. He must have served well as commissioner because no one ever opposed him at election time. Mrs. Joss' brother, Mr. Dobrick--also of Swiss descent--also came to these family gatherings. He was a cofounder with Mr. McNellis of Imperial Brass Manufacturing Company and held 130 US patents for devices in the plumbing, refrigeration and aviation industries. He went to work daily until he died at 94., Rueben-- Helen Luessenhopp; Rueben engaged in farming the Schmidt farm and later became a building contractor. He built many fine homes in the northwest suburbs. Son Robert graduated from University of Illinois at Champaign where he operated the radio station. Then he became an engineer at Bell Laboratories and authored a book entitled Advanced Communications Technology., Sam-- Esther Ellingson; Sam graduated from the University of Wisconsin where he and Esther met. He was an insurance broker with an office in LaGrange., Alfred -- died 1917, Christine -- Edwin Sprandel; Christine and Ed operated a grocery, and in later years, a dry goods store in their own apartment building in Bensenville. After this they moved to their 325 acre farm at Big Rock, Illinois, John -- Alice Tiplady; John and Alice both graduated from Northwestern University. He became Vice President and Western manager of Seaboard Surety Co. In this capacity he sold bonds for construction of most of the pipelines for gasoline and natural gas from the southwestern states to the north central states. Readers have reminded me of historical events and personal experiences I overlooked in 'Memories' so I have decided to add this postscript....All boys had sleds which they hitched behind wagons or sleighs when farmers carne into town. There were no snow plows so the streets were covered with snow until spring. The kids wore hand knit stocking caps, mittens and sweaters that by springtime often hung down to their knees! Box socials were a popular means of raising money for various causes. Unidentified young ladies would pack elaborately decorated boxes with delicacies which would then be auctioned off to the young men that had gathered for this event. The highest bidder of a particular box would gain the privilege of sharing the contents with the girl who had prepared it. The identity of some of these boxes would be 'leaked' beforehand thus compelling their special boy friend to bid a high price for her box. School and church board meetings were held at our farm home because Father had the books and bank accounts. Meetings were always held during the winter when farmers had more time for such things. About a half dozen would arrive in buggies and sleighs. In the yard there were rings on posts or trees to which their horses could be tethered and it was our responsibility to watch their horses for several hours. We covered them with blankets, gave them hay to munch on and water to drink. Having stood still for several hours, the horses ran at top speed when homeward bound. Once a year, County Superintendent of Schools, Mr. Royal T. Morgan, came by horse and buggy to discuss with Father finances and school problems, as well as the hiring of teachers. He was a Civil War veteran and we felt honored to have such a distinguished gentleman in our home. At these meetings Mother always served coffee and delicious home made coffee cake topped with sugar, butter and cinnamon. Frequently we saw autos stalled on the road due to flat tires. Tires lasted only a few thousand miles and blew out (exploded) frequently. Many cars carried several extra tires fastened to the back or side. When our country became involved in World War II our supply of natural rubber which came from Borneo was cut off by the Japanese. Germany, which was most advanced in chemistry had developed synthetic rubber which extended the life of tires to 50,000 miles or more and this placed our country at a serious disadvantage. The son of my German language teacher at Northwestern University--Mr. Curme--had studied chemistry in Germany and went to work at General Motors to develop synthetic rubber. Armed with his superior knowledge he succeeded and was nationally honored for this achievement without which our country could not I have waged war on land. He also invented anti-freeze. I remember? these autos, now extinct: Pierce Arrow, Packard, Reo, Locomobile, Rambler, Overland, Haynes, Durant, Stanley Steamer, Apperson, Stutz, Hirschoff, Hupmobile, Carter Car, Duesenberg, DeLaurient, Mitchell, E.M.F., Frankiin, Paige, Studebaker, Moon, Kissel Kar, Empire, Peerless, Kaiser, Tucker, Schacht, Winton, Velie, Grant, Auburn, Chandler, Stearns, Marmon, DeSoto, Nash, Cord, Chalmers. One of my most memorable personal experiences was when Howard and I met Henry Ford, Sr. We were visiting Lee and Mary Volberding at their home on Deer Lake near the village of Clarkston, Michigan, which is about twenty miles north of Detroit. One of Ford's enterprises was building dams on small streams to provide hydroelectric power for operating small factories. One such plant was built in downtown Clarkston and when Howard and I were there we stopped to see the new factory. Before long Howard remarked, "I think that man over there is Mr. Ford. When Mr. Ford was returning to his car he said, "Hello boys", whereupon Howard asked him for his autograph. He took a 3 x 5 card and pen from his pocket and signed his name, a memento I believe Howard has to this day. Handwritten note on page 1. On my birthday April 23, 1900, bread was 3 cents a 1 LB loaf, milk 28 cents a gallon, butter 29 cents per LB, gasoline 16 cents a gallon, postage 2 cents, newspaper 2 cents, an ounce of gold $20.67, an ounce of silver 29 cents, a new house $2,050.00, new auto $1,009.00.